Thursday, April 11, 2013

When Anthro Dissapoints

We all know, that when ordering from the Anthropologie website, you may receive an item coming from one of the stores, rather than a warehouse. Sometimes the items have been previously returned or tried on in the store and may occasionally have  an odor or other imperfections. Personally, I'm ticked off by this. Most major clothing brands only send brand new merchandise to online customers. If items are out of stock on-line, it should be my choice, whether or not I'd like to do a store search for an item, knowing that I may get something that is not perfect and willing to take my chances, especially for a sale item. However, I think this choice should be offered to me and it's completely unacceptable for a huge brand like Anthropologie to send me second grade goods that were ordered at full price. This has happened to me a number of times in the past, and with two of my latest orders in a row. I have not had this experience with any other brand.

My second to last order, I purchased a cardigan that was on sale. Though I ordered it on the website, it clearly came from a store and smelled! Ewww. I called customer service to try to order a replacement, but it was completely sold out in my size. The customer service rep offered me 15% off if I wanted to keep it and because I really liked the style, I agreed reluctantly. Still, there is a sense of disappointment. Even on sale and with additional 15% off, the cardigan was still pricey in my opinion and having to invest in dry cleaning before wearing it is most annoying. In all the times I bought Anthropologie clothes on eBay, I have never received anything that smelled. Yet, I'm getting a smelly item straight from Anthropologie.

My last order was a dress which I purchased during the 20% off dresses promotion. This dress is now back to full price. When it arrived in the mail, the inner plastic bag that items are usually sealed in was ripped and crudely scotch taped back together. The dress did not have any tags attached, leading me to believe that it was someones return. If I was keeping the dress, this might have been OK, but since it did not fit and I would need to return it, I hope I won't be given the third degree for the missing tags. Once again, I feel like I've just shopped at some closeout store and not Anthropologie.

On a separate note, the dress I'm planning on returning is the Bottlegreen Dress. Everything about it seemed to be so right, but the fit is just all wrong. My regular size is too tight in the chest, yet gapes open at the neckline and too full in the skirt. If I went up a size to fit the chest better, the neckline and the skirt would look even worse. I can't even see how the neckline issue can be fixed by a tailor in an inconspicuous way. In the catalog picture, they've hidden the neckline with a necklace. It's really too bad because this dress is quite beautiful. Oh Anthropologie, why must you disappoint?

4 comments:

TeriLynn13 said...

Had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a dress on popback but the packaging was kind of crude and when I opened it the odor clearly indicated it had been a return. I loved the dress to I used some Dryel to help with the odor but I was frustrated.

Sarah said...

I had a similar situation - around five years ago. I ordered a dress at the last minute for a wedding I had to attend. I knew the size would work because I owned many from the brand (maeve). It arrived the day before the wedding with honest-to-goodness stains down the front. Not deoderant stains which you can sometimes rub the cloth together to get out - actual stains. I sent it back with a note and recieved free return shipping. I can't say that it negatively affected my shopping there in the long run, though. I am often annoyed at poor quality of items, items not being the same as shown on-line, items not being the same color as shown on-line, high cost of shipping, poor packaging, etc. but at the end of the day, unfortunately, I still purchase.

Sarah said...

I had a similar situation - around five years ago. I ordered a dress at the last minute for a wedding I had to attend. I knew the size would work because I owned many from the brand (maeve). It arrived the day before the wedding with honest-to-goodness stains down the front. Not deoderant stains which you can sometimes rub the cloth together to get out - actual stains. I sent it back with a note and received free return shipping. I was annoyed but can't say that it negatively affected my shopping there in the long run. I am often perturbed at poor quality of items, items not being the same as shown on-line, items not being even close to the same color as shown on-line, high cost of shipping, poor packaging, etc. but at the end of the day, somewhat unfortunately, I still purchase.

Unknown said...

It's always disappointing when you eagerly order items to only end up receiving the wrong thing, or even worse, a damaged item! I've been lucky with my orders so far, so I really can't complain, but I do feel for those that are ordering important items (especially for events)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails